Wednesday, July 16, 2014

16th of July, 2014
Intern Shareef's Blog #21:

  Today was a little different than most. The difference started off with spanish class. Today we went on a field trip to a Jamaican market. When we walked in there were many different meats all over the place. All kinds; chicken, beef, pork, many different kinds. Especially pork, when we kept walking around I ended up seeing many pig heads. It was quite disturbing especially because it's eyes were still open. After looking around there we went to look at the flowers, they had so many different kinds it was beautiful. They came in all different shapes, sizes, colors, and types. I even saw many different flowers that had multiple colors. It was really cool! Even though we were trying to move fast through the market there was so much to see. On our way back we were running out of time, and we had other things to do after that. We tried to go our fastest but ended up being about 15 minutes late. I felt really bad but I guess it will happen sometimes. When we finally arrived we hoped in a taxi and headed to Coyoacon to Frida Kahlo's house. We went to her museum (that was her house) and saw many of her paintings, photographs, clothes, bedrooms, and kitchen. It was really cool because she had a very large, nice house. I was very happy we got to see it. After the museum we went out to go get churros. They were filled with flavors so I got a Fresa con creme and a chocolate. They both were pretty good but not as good as the ones we ate before.
 After the delicious churros we went to explore more of the city. My uncle let everyone go around and see whatever they wanted to see then meet at a designated location in an hour. So of course like usual we went to go eat. We went to eat at this restaurant with Leticia and her children. For the appetizer my uncle got Guacamole con Champulines or in english Guacamole with crickets. It was one of the grossest meals I had ever seen. I was so scared to eat it, and my uncle kept pressuring me to eat it and not just one but a couple of them. I really didn't want to do it but Leticia said she would eat one and she never had before. So she did and she said it wasn't that bad, 
so she gave me the courage to try some. To be honest it wasn't that bad it's only when you feel a crunch of them between your molars that it gets kind of bad. When we got our real food and finished with that we headed over to the location to meet everyone. We had an odd amount of people though so not all of us could take a taxi back. So me, uncle Jason, and Dr. Monte headed to the bus it was very small and not many people could fit but they managed to anyway. It was very cramped and peoples butts were in my face at all times. ** It was really uncomfortable. Luckily we only had one stop so we got off and took the Metro back to campus it only took us about 45 minutes. So that was nice, we thought it would take much longer.
  When we got back to campus my uncle worked for a bit while I laid down and watched youtube videos. As soon as work ended we headed home. When we got home we just relaxed and laid down and figured out more about the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes movie and I think we are gonna go see it so hopefully that will be good! When it came to dinner time we didn't have any food in the house to cook so we went to this burger place and had some really good papas fritas with many different dipping sauces. I also got popcorn chicken which was chicken with popcorn in the bowl too. It was a funny little joke. 

**Dr. Platt believes in freedom of the press but does not necessarily approve of all of Intern Shareef's choice of content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment